Tips on Creating Stories and Speaking (Part Two) with Film Maker Mickey Lemle – 101
I believe that public speaking can only be truly effective in moving an audience if the speaker views themselves first and foremost as a storyteller. In this way public speaking is no different to other mediums, like writing, comedy and filmmaking, where stories are also used to affect an audience. That is why I like to bring guests from those other arenas on to the show to give you ideas for making your own message more powerful.
I am chuffed to bits that for these 100th and 101st episodes I have Producer/Director Mickey Lemle as my guest. Mickey Lemle has been making feature films, television series and documentary specials since 1971. His film and television works have been shown theatrically, on television and at film festivals around the world. He has covered such diverse topics as media manipulation, the first astronauts to land on the moon and two feature length documentaries about the Dalai Lama.
In addition to his award-winning films he was also a personal friend and student of Joseph Campbell, the architect of modern storytelling. Across these two episodes we cover a wide range of topics all of which I hope will give you food for thought about yourself, your life and your public speaking. Mickey takes us all over the globe, into our inner world and even into space with the stories that he shares, and I hope that you love hearing them as much as I did.
What you’ll discover:
- How and Why Mickey got into documentary film making
- The two traits you need for successful film making
- Why Mickey thinks a lot of Hollywood movies are stupid.
- What drives the project choices Mickey makes.
- How documentaries get funded and made.
- Why it’s so important to find stories that reflect internal transformation.
- How you show internal transformation in a story.
- The measure Mickey uses personally to judge the success of his films.
- Why we should be wary of the way that information is presented to us.
- The secret to a long life
- The secret to the end of suffering.
- How meditation can help you create a better life.
- The lessons that Mickey learnt directly from Joseph Campbell the creator of ‘The Hero’s Journey’
- How Mickey got his Holiness the Dalai Lama to agree to be in a documentary.
- The story creation process for documentaries and the similarities with creating a presentation story.
- How Mickey uses the Hero’s Journey in his work
- How speaking fits into Mickey’s work
- How Mickey uses storytelling in his speaking
- Mickey’s top tips for speakers for using stories and building a narrative
All things Mickey Lemle:
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and review really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
*(please note if you use my link for the books, I get a small commission, but this does not affect your payment)