Why Speakers Should Consider Writing a Book and Tips on Doing it… with Joanna Penn – 092
Writing a book is on the ‘one day’ list of many public speakers and entrepreneurs, but after listening to this show you may decide it’s a must have rather than a nice to have. That’s because today, I’m speaking with Joanna Penn, award-nominated, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author,about the whys and wherefores of book writing for public speakers.
Joanna writes thrillers under J.F.Penn and also writes non-fiction for authors with 30+ books published in 84 countries and 5 languages. She is also a professional speaker, entrepreneur and host of The Creative Penn Podcast, which has been downloaded over 3.7 million times in 219 countries.
This episode is jam packed with golden nuggets that apply to business and speaking as well as to how to make writing a book work for you. We cover a lot of ground and I know that you will get massive value from listening.
What we talk about:
- Why you should side hustle before you leap.
- Success criteria and how you should develop your own measures.
- The advantages of self-publishing and becoming an ‘indy’ author
- The benefits of documenting your journey.
- How imposter syndrome affects Joanna.
- What can trigger imposter syndrome and the antidote.
- What Joanna learned when her first book failed.
- The benefits of controlling your IP
- The difference between non-fiction and fiction
- How fiction can help people too.
- Why speakers should consider writing a book.
- The different streams of income possible.
- The history of book length and how long yours should be.
- The importance of picking the right book title.
- Why you should niche down in book writing and speaking.
- The first three things you should do if you want to write a book.
- Thoughts on authenticity.
- Why it’s completely fine if there are already lots of other books in your area of expertise.
- Why you should consider your definition of success in the way you choose to launch your book.
- Why being intentional is so critical to your success.
All things Joanna:
Website – https://www.thecreativepenn.com
Social Media @thecreativepenn
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and review really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
*(please note if you use my link for the books, I get a small commission, but this does not affect your payment)