Five Insider Tips for Adding Humour to Your Stories – 084
I love stories, but I love stories with humour more! So does your audience, and in fact the majority of the population. Humour brings people together, builds a connection between you and your audience and is more likely to get your message shared. The trouble is that it can seem scary and hard to do in public speaking, and that is where this episode comes in.
For most of my life I’ve worked in the corporate world by day, alongside doing stand-up comedy and theatre by night! During that time, I realised that the humour I used in the comedy clubs, was not going to be appropriate when speaking to audiences in my corporate job. The principles behind creating the humour were exactly the same but my brand and my audience were not. I know the power of comedy in both contexts and that’s why I’m so passionate about helping you use it in the right way to get results in your speaking generally, and your stories especially.
So, in this show I’m focusing exclusively on adding humour to stories rather than writing jokes for jokes sake. I’m going to be giving you five simple tips that you can use to make your stories funnier in a low risk way.
Have fun and let me know how you get on!!
What you’ll discover:
- Why people laugh
- Why it always comes back to your audience
- How to get laughs from small details
- Why you need to channel your inner magician
- What you can learn from the film Evolution about making things funny
- The golden comedy formula
- A variation on the rule of three
- Things to be mindful of when using comedy
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and review really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.