From Page to Stage…Getting Bolder with Carl Honore – 068
Carl Honore started out his career as a journalist driven by a personal mission to change the world for the better. One day he realized that in his pursuit of making other people’s lives better his own was passing by at breakneck speed and he was missing the important moments.
This epiphany set him on the path to writing his best-selling book ‘In Praise of Slow’ and spear heading the ‘slow’ movement which has impacted lives all over the world. It also meant that he had to face the terror he felt about public speaking and make the transition from ‘page to stage’. A few best sellers on and he is now an international speaker with a new book, ‘Bolder’ just out that deals with another fear of his…aging.
In this show Carl shares some gems on the benefits of living more ‘slowly’, on how we should view aging, and gives a look behind the curtain at how he is putting his brand-new keynote together for Bolder.
I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I did.
What we talk about:
- The 60 second Snow White book and how it changed Carl’s life.
- Why faster is not always better.
- How we need to marry the speed of today’s culture with the older, slower truths of what it means to be human
- Why the world cannot sustain the turbo culture of today.
- Why there is no such thing as a lost ‘slow’ cause.
- The top five benefits of slowing down.
- The story behind ‘Bolder’ and societies hang ups with age.
- The irony between age and wisdom being qualities looked for in running nations but not teams in business and why companies are missing out.
- The upside to aging and how we can age better.
- Carl’s transition from being terrified of public speaking to becoming an international public speaker.
- How perfectionism can rob you of fulfilling your potential as a public speaker.
- The process Carl goes through to prepare his talks.
- Why rehearsal is so critical to sounding ‘natural’ as a speaker.
- Why stories are crucial to speaking success and your origin story in particular.
- A journalist’s view on ‘fake news’.
All things Carl:
The Quiet American by Graham GreeneThanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and review really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
*(please note if you use my link for the books I get a small commission, but this does not affect your payment)