Changing the World One Talk at a Time with Devin Thorpe – 056
We all think we set big goals… but in this episode I got a little perspective on what big goals really are! Devin Thorpe spent many years in a corporate career within the finance function, but he never forgot a promise he made to himself at the age of 11. When he lost the job of his dreams that promise led him to re-evaluate his life purpose and set him on the path to what he does today.
Devin has spoken at the UN and all over the world sharing his mission and training companies on crowd funding and corporate social responsibility. He is also a regular writer for Forbes magazine and a podcast host. In this episode he shares how he got into paid speaking, how it enables him to fulfil his mission and what he does to put his talks together. We also consider how Devin uses humour in his writing and speaking to increase the impact of his message.
What you’ll learn:
- How losing something you care about can be a catalyst for a bigger life.
- Why it’s important to be conscious of our bias in life.
- How Corporate Social Responsibility can increase profitability.
- Why it’s good to be polarising to increase the impact of your message and reach the right people.
- How Devin transitioned from Finance to paid speaking.
- Devin’s process for creating his talks.
- Why it’s important to watch yourself back as a speaker to improve your craft.
- How you can tell if you’re a good speaker.
- Why you should always make it easy for people to give you money.
All things Devin:
Books by Devin:
Your Mark on the WorldThanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and review really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
*(please note if you use my link I get a small commission, but this does not affect your payment)