Four Tools to Help Avoid Being a Dull Speaker – 053
One of my previous guests said that dull people should try something other than public speaking, and I have a slightly different view. I believe that being dull doesn’t have to be a permanent thing, I believe that you can learn and do things that will make you more engaging, entertaining and interesting as a speaker, and in life.
One of the things that plays a big part in achieving that is how you use your voice when you are speaking…and the tools that you can use to make you sound better are pitch, pace, tone and volume. That being said, I thought I would do an episode on what those things actually are and how you can use them, not just to become less boring, but to make you a high impact speaker that gets results.
I hope you enjoy the show!
What you’ll learn:
- How you can tell if you’re a dull speaker.
- What your options are if you are a dull speaker.
- How you can influence the emotional state of your audience
- Why pitch is important
- The impact of a high pitch or low pitch voice
- Things that can affect the pitch of your voice as a public speaker
- Tips for getting more pitch variation
- Why varying your pace is so powerful
- What normal conversational speed is
- Suggestions for varying your pace
- The importance of congruence in body, message and tone
- What our tone tells the audience
- Things that can negatively impact our tone
- How you can positively impact your tone
- The magic of silence
- When to use silence in your public speaking
- Why energy is critical in your presentations
- The Q&A conundrum
- The influence of language in better voice work
- How it all comes together in one of the greatest speeches of all time!
Thanks for listening!
Leaving a review:
The consonant scale warm up:
Ba ba ba bee, ba ba ba baa, ba ba ba, bee, bee, bee, baa, baa, baa, boo, boo, boo
Ca ca ca cee, ca ca ca caa, ca ca ca cee, cee, cee caa, caa, caa, coo, coo, coo
And so on!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and review really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
See you next time.